Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Game.

What game do you play?

Bike racing was easy, you toe the line.
Someone with a microphone and a
stopwatch yells "GO!"

And then you see how fast it takes to
ride from A to B to C and back to A, 
for the most part.  You can challenge
yourself by the rig you chose to pedal, 
but the basics are pretty much the same.

Who can get round that loop the fastest?

Fishin', this fishing stuff is different.
It can give the same satisfactions, but 
methods, paths, are different. How do you 
satisfy that competitive streak? What, who 
are you competing against, how do you keep 
score? If at all.....

I don't find fishing to be competitive, but it 
sure can be. You see the grainy old grinning 
pictures of bushels of fishes..

"Look how well we did!"

There is the ego, the one upsmanship.
All of that is there buried in those long ago
smiles.  And you can see the posts online; 
'Caught a 21"er last night on a blahblaahblah' 
or 
'Fished a Class A, brought 30, 40, 50 to hand.'

ooooooo, aahhhhhhh.
(not that I'm 100% ego free mind you...I do have my proud moments)


Last wknd bumped into a fella on the stream,
standard etiquette dictates that you ask:
"How you been doin' this morning?"

"Caught 16 so far, couple browns, one @ 13 1/2", 
the rest brookies. You?"

"uhhmmm, yeah been catching enough to
keep it enjoyable, dozenish or so I guess....kinda 
lost track...beautiful morning eh?"


Truth is, I usually quit counting after I catch 3.
Three is enough to eat, three satisfies that root 
core reason to be fishing in the first place, can
I feed myself if need be?

Sometimes I keep track up to 5 or maybe 6.
Though one night on the Letort I brought 12, or 
was it 14?, to hand...now that was a remarkable 
evening. Will never forget that one and as far as 
I know, that's the most I've ever caught in one 
outing, anywhere...I just can't/wont keep track.

But anyways, so I'm not much of a fish counter,
or measurer.  Sometimes I wonder if I should'nt 
cut that pointy bit off the hook of the fly and 
just be satisfied with the take. Maybe that's a little 
toooo zen and shit though...

I'm satisfied that I made the cast, that I rose to the 
challenge of making that technical presentation.  
Waving that fancy bendy stick 'round just right 
does take some skill after all.  Dropping that fly 
into the proverbial teacup, with that just right
amount of slack in the leader & line to get that 
ideal drift.  Inducing that unflinching unquestioning 
take from that peabrained evolutionary instinctual 
relic, it is quite the challenge at times.

And that's the game I like to play. 

So don't expect to see too many trophy grip n grin 
pics 'round here, that's just not my style, just not 
my focus right now. Not that I don't like catching 
some big trouts here and there when I can, when 
luck is on my side. But the tried and true methods 
for that just aint my cup of tee. Throwing those big 
meaty flies on 1, 2 or 3x with 6/7/8 wts, swinging 
sink tip lines down deep or at night.... might be 
something to try as a novelty, but I doubt that'll
ever be my day to day goto.

I prefer lighter lines strung up on nicely crafted,
sweet casting bamboo sticks.  Be stealthy, find 
that trout on the feed and make that cast,
up under those branches or across these glassy
currents, getting that fly to drift oh so prettily.

That's my game for now and the rewards 
are often simple and always beautiful, 
I've earned my trophies elsewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment